Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Room Without a Roof

Spring may technically be four days away but . . .
    I'm here to tell you . . .
It's here!

Baby green shoots are rising out of the dead dune grass; 
the beach pea is unfolding its little green palms;
 the slugs 



 (and Kim Lindemeyer) are dancing to THIS
 (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap Clap)
  Don't even start in with the 'slugs can't clap' stuff.
I saw them.
Some images and words from the last few days . . . 
happy spring to you all!

Irrelevant
Oh, God dammit.
I forgot to label the bag.
Was that Colombian or Guatemalan?
I always think I'll remember.
I never do.
I fumble the #4 Melita filter in the pre-dawn light
But, mostly, my hands know what to do.
I gather my rain gear and the cup fills in drips.
Reggie prances. He knows this ritual.
Coffee in hand and a deliriously happy dog . . .
Can this be anything but good?
The bones of it are always the same:
Wake up
Brush teeth (maybe)
Last night's clothes
Coffee
Out the door.
That part doesn't change.
What comes next, however, is never the same.
I never know what will be out there.
Yesterday was an "iron" day . . .
An iron spike covered in those tube-worm things -


Medusa!

A twisted, crusted iron crucifix.
(benedictio in nomine Matris Oceanus)


I meander and sip.
My coffee cup gathers residue of sand and dog treats, shells, bones and kelp.
When my hands are too full I set my cup on an accommodating rock -
To better continue the hunt.
When I return the coffee is cold,
Diluted with rain
And kissed with salt.
It's the most perfect cup of coffee ever.
And the Colombian/Guatemalan debate becomes irrelevant. 




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a perfect ritual to me. And the country you are drinking does become irrelevant when you are in the moment.

    ReplyDelete