Wednesday, August 7, 2013

It Wasn't Us (or Sympathy For My Ex's Exes)

This is a slight change of pace. It may appear there's no direct "Sea" reference.  I would argue that any sure knowledge, any knowing, for me, will stem from time spent connecting to source - the sea. 

For every woman who's ever gotten in line . . . and for every man who eventually looks up in surprise to find nobody there.
They just get lovelier,
Each consecutive one.
Eyes sparklier,
Smile brighter.
And with each new one I wonder,
“Where was the . . .
(chocolate cake, hand on the small of the back, lingering gaze, flirty whisper)
when I was there?”
And then the eyes and the smile change
(a knowing);
 And then the eyes and the smile CHANGE
(a going).
And I realize, I too sparkled and was bright.
I was simply the first in the sparkly, bright line.
And the liberating truth is that
None of us was ever anything less than sparkly and bright.
It. Wasn’t. Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment