Thursday, March 13, 2014

Goddesses at the Beach

I've spent some time getting to know Athena, Artemis, Diana and Elizabeth the 1st. They are powerful Goddesses (ok, Elizabeth was technically mortal, but only just barely), who, while invoking sometimes raging independence, also had their soothing and healing moments. They were usually fair and always unapologetic.
Artemis, in particular, is 'fiercely individualistic and and independent; she remains apart from relationship to men.' (Goddess Knowledge Cards Susan Eleanor Boulet).
Elizabeth is quoted as saying, "Better beggar woman and single than Queen and married."
and
"I am called the Virgin Queen.
Unmarried,
I have no master.
Childless,
I am mother to my people.
God give me strength to bear this mighty freedom."
Single AND queen seems to have been both a perfect compromise and an overwhelming burden. I am grateful for my simple life.
Artemis, Diana,  Athena and the Red Stag and Elizabeth the 1st - beautiful imagery online.
Today a mix of all four showed themselves via driftwood and bird bones at the beach.


And then tonight I heard them all in K.D. Lang's Hallelujah.
Watch it. All the way to the end. What beauty. What grace.
And as long as we're speaking of perfection . . .
fresh fried razor clams
(the recipe on the left; adapted for, like, 4 clams if you're a solo goddess; you will want leftovers for scrambled clam hash in the morning. I promise.)
with a squeeze of lemon.
The Ladies all would have approved.
Hallelujah..

No comments:

Post a Comment