Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day Ramble

It's 8:47 am Sunday morning. Mother's Day 2014. The morning after Taylor and her date sat on the couch in tux and prom dress watching movies because she hurled after their pre-prom dinner.

                 


It's also the morning after the monumental trouncing of Vancouver's Storm City Roller Girls by Hood River's very own Gorge Roller Girls. The score was something like 384 to 68. At some point, knowing the exact score ceased to be important.

I woke up in a rush thinking it was 8:30-something, only to discover my 52 year-old eyes had lied to me, yet again. It was actually 6:30-something. But I was up and a cup of home-made chai was calling to me. So I fed the dogs, emptied the dishwasher (and instantly filled it from the mound of dishes in the sink), finished making the chai and sat down for a moment in the backyard . . . in a skimpy yoga top . . . in the sun. If you're not from Oregon you need to understand  that last part should not be breezily passed over.  Let me repeat: a skimpy yoga top . . . in the sun . . . mid-May . . . Oregon. And I was comfortable!  It's already a gorgeous day in the Gorge (you do know that's where the word gorgeous comes from, right?).

I closed my eyes and took a moment to hear the birds, both the chirping variety and the humming ones. The dogs were rolling deliriously in the grass, bringing me slimy bits of stick as love gifts and demonstrating down dog and up dog better than any yoga instructor I've ever had. I admired my freshly cut lawn and was not the least bit distressed about all the dandelions. Life's too short for that, I've decided.

Two of my real pleasures of the day are sleeping the sleep of late-night teenagers upstairs in their beds and the third is a short 3 miles away in her own bed. I am happy to have them all in one place, more or less, for a couple days. Our plans are to convene on Riverdaze for sourdough bacon waffles and coffee and I'll get to look in their eyes and marvel at the lovely human beings they have become.


I may be a little biased, but I honestly like them. I kinda have to love them, but I don't have to like them. I take great pleasure in liking my kids.

I spent time with my own mom this week. She moved on to the next big thing in 1995. Thursday she would have been 92. Our tradition is to catch up over a box of Russell Stover chocolates. I am always willing to share but usually end up eating the whole thing. Thanks, Mom.

Before the day takes off I hope for you a few quiet moments to soak up some wonderfulness. If you have offspring, if you've been like a parent to someone special who needed you, if you've made difficult choices,  if you have lost a child . . . I honor you and send much love. I hope your day includes something fabulous like bacon waffles with your favorite people.

And where is Matris Oceanus in all of this? Why, she IS all of it, of course. Happy Mother's Day to the Mother of all mothers. I'll see you Wednesday.


Addendum: After a wonderful breakfast at Riverdaze we strolled to the newly opened 'The Chocolate Lab'. We found it necessary to sample Lavender/Chocolate Caramels, Habanero/Lime Caramels, Cherry/Balsamic Vinegar Chocolates and (drum roll here . . .) Bleu Cheese/Almond Chocolates.

                   

Bleu Cheese and Chocolate? Amazing. Who knew?!
And thank you, Sunde, for sending us home with the fancy bottle of  Cherry Balsamic drinking vinegar without charge and trusting us to come back when you know the price. You have 4 loyal customers now.
Cheers!










No comments:

Post a Comment